Saturday, April 28, 2012

Races everywhere

It was cool and threatening rain this morning. Perfect racing weather!

Rand, Kathy, Larry Moffatt, and Scott Breeden were in Louisville. The rest of the gang was in Bedford. There was a race here this morning, but for one reason or another most of the guys avoided it. I couldn't pass on a race within a block of my house, so I went. It was for a good cause anyway, how could I refuse?

I won't beat it to death with details, so let's keep it to the bullet points:

  • Aaron Ritter was pre-race favorite
  • I took the lead from the start
  • Two middle schoolers passed, but I had them back before the mile
  • 5:42 first mile
  • Ritter passed me in third mile
  • He won in 18:01, I was second in 18:26
Two weeks out from a marathon and running a 5k that fast? I'll take it. I hoped for sub-19, got much better? Take it take it!

Now that the insignificant is out of the way, let's talk about the really good stuff.

Thanks to Galloway, we had accurate results before the runners themselves could get them and contact us.
  • Kathy was 1:40:16, a huge PR and won her age group
  • Rand was 1:37:38 - I don't know if this is his best (Kathy thought so)
  • Larry was 1:32:25, a good time considering his injury, and;
  • Scott Breeden went 1:10:02, won his age group, and was 10th overall in a big city race with pros.
I'd commented on the ride yesterday I believed Kathy could go under 1:40:00, and she came close. I also knew Breeden could rule at Louisville. I hope this stokes his fires a bit, and perhaps he could go back next year really aiming at it. I bet he could get 1:06:00 without too much effort. He ran this time doing nothing much more than high mileage. 

We are running in the morning at 8, then riding at 2 from Lighthouse. All welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment